01253 293 106 info@fyldelaw.co.uk
Facebook Twitter

Housing Law for Tenants

The Housing Law Department for Fylde Law is one of the best and most experienced in the region. 

We have a long and extensive experience of dealing with all sorts of housing matters for our clients. Whatever the situation you are facing – whether your landlord is a Housing Association, Local Authority or a private landlord we have the experience to help you.

There may be a number of funding options available to our clients including fixed fees or ‘no win, no fee’ agreements.  Please call us on 01253 293 106, or contact us via the quick contact form on this page and we will be more than happy to provide you with advice.

Our specialist Housing Team is able to help in a number of areas including:

  • Harrassment from Landlord/Neighbours
  • Possession Claims – Tenants
  • Mortgage Repossessions
  • Anti-Social Behaviour
  • Reviews and Appeals
  • Judicial Reviews of Housing Policies
  • Unfair Housing Contracts
  • Rights of Succession
  • Allocation and Transfer of Social Housing
  • Squatters Rights/Adverse Possession
  • Service Disputes

 Frequently Asked Questions

Q.What is housing disrepair and do the problems that I have in my home meet the criteria for disrepair?

A.The landlord has certain repairing obligations under the terms of both the Tenancy Agreement and Section 11 of the Landlord and Tenant Act 1985. A landlord has obligations to keep in repair the structure and exterior of the property you live in, this would include windows, exterior doors, drains, gutters etc and the landlord also has an obligation to keep in repair and working order the installations in the property for the supply of water, gas, electricity, sanitation, heating etc.  If you have notified the landlord and the landlord has not carried out these necessary repairs the property is in housing disrepair.

The problems you have in your home may meet the criteria for disrepair, the problems you are experiencing would need to be discussed with an advisor.

Q.Am I entitled to compensation for the disrepair to my house and if so, how much?

A.Once you have notified the landlord of the repairs which are required which fall into the category of ‘housing disrepair’ the landlord has a reasonable period of time to carry out the necessary work.  If the landlord does not carry out the necessary work within a reasonable period of time you are likely to be entitled to some compensation. The amount of compensation you will be entitled to will be based upon the amount of disrepair in the property and the period of time you have had to live in the property with disrepair, the amount of compensation you may be entitled to will need to be discussed with an advisor.

Q.Do I need to notify my landlord about the problems with my house?

A.Yes, the landlord should be notified about the problems in the house preferably in writing, you should write the letter to the landlord and keep a copy.

Q.What happens if my landlord ignores the request to carry out repairs?

A.The landlord has a legal obligation to carry out certain repairs in the property which are housing disrepair.  Court action can be taken against the landlord in some circumstances, in other circumstances it may be more appropriate to contact the Local Authority who have the power to inspect the property and ask the landlord to carry out certain works. Which is the most appropriate option for you should be discussed with an advisor.

Q.Can I claim compensation if my health and the health of my children and family have suffered as a result of the conditions I am living in?

A.If the property you have been living in has suffered with housing disrepair and as of a result of this the health of your family has suffered you may be able to claim compensation for personal injury. Medical records and medical reports would be required and whether you have a claim and the value of such a claim should be discussed with an advisor.

Q.I am being harassed and threatened by my landlord/neighbours.  How can Fylde Law help me?

A.Fylde Law can advise you in respect of harassment and can send letters where appropriate. Fylde Law can advise you how to bring legal action against landlords/neighbours to stop the harassment should this become necessary.

Back to top

Our commitment to you

No hidden charges

Same day response

Home and hospital visits

read more


Commonly asked questions to help understand our services and how we can help you

read more

Personal Injury

If you have an injury and feel you can claim, we can help...

read more

Welcome to Fylde Law

learn more

What our clients say

read more testimonials

Meet the team

get to know us