In the event of a loved one’s death without a will or as an executor of a will, you may need to apply for a Grant of Probate or a Grant of Administration.
We at Fylde Law understand that this is a very difficult time for you. With decades of experience, we know how to respect your privacy and your loved one’s wishes while also dealing with legal matters in a discreet and efficient manner.
Our team is accustomed to dealing with high-value, complex estate administrations, and we are experts at managing and optimising Inheritance Tax liabilities.
In the case of a contested will, our litigation team gives simple advice on what your rights are and what to do next and represent you in court if necessary.
For an appointment, call us on 01253 293 106 or e-mail us, and we’ll contact you at the time most convenient for you.
Applying for the grant, collecting and distributing the assets
A range of costs with a fixed fee for additional work
We anticipate it taking between 7 and 8 hours of work at an hourly rate of £225.00 plus VAT at 20% or the prevailing rate if different. The total cost is estimated at £1,800 (+VAT of 20%) for a simple probate matter.
Each case will have a different cost depending on its specific circumstances. Costs will be lower, for example, if there is only one beneficiary and no property. Costs will be higher if there are multiple beneficiaries, a property, and multiple bank accounts.
You can rely on us to handle the whole process for you. The following quote is for estates where:
- A valid will exists
- There is only one property (in England and Wales)
- There are no more than two banks or building society accounts held in England and Wales
- There are no other intangible assets
- One or two beneficiaries resident in England or Wales are involved
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries regarding asset division. There will likely be an increase in costs if disputes arise
- Executors are not required to submit full accounts to HMRC, and inheritance tax is not payable
- The estate is not subject to any claims
Fees include the following disbursements:
- There is a fee of £273.00 for the probate application with a further fee of £1.50 per copy
Executor’s oath-taking costs £7.00
- A bankruptcy-only search is available from the Land Charges Department for £2.00 per beneficiary.
- £200.00 (estimate) Post in The London Gazette and Local Gazette – Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
You may have to pay third parties disbursements, such as court fees related to your matter. To ensure a smooth process, we handle the disbursements on your behalf.
Additional costs that may arise
- In cases where there is no Will or the estate consists of shareholdings (stocks and bonds), additional costs are likely to be incurred that could be significant, depending on the circumstances. With more information, we can give you a more accurate quote.
- Additional copies of the grant will cost £1.50 (1 per asset).
- The sale or transfer of any estate property is not included.
How long will this take?
In general, estates that fall within this range are handled within three to four months. It typically takes 16 weeks to obtain a grant of probate. After that, assets are collected, which can take one to three weeks. Following this, we can distribute the assets, which usually takes 4-6 weeks.
Estate administration involves the following steps:
- Identifying and valuing all of the deceased’s assets;
- After assessing any taxation due and any benefits owed to the DWP, applying to the Probate Office for a grant of representation to collect and administer the assets, and then collecting and administering the assets.
- The remaining estate is distributed according to the provisions of the will or the statutory rules on intestacy after paying all debts and taxes.
Our commitment to you
Fylde Law is dedicated to providing accessible and affordable legal advice and representation in a way that meets the ‘real world’ needs and circumstances of our clients. Put simply, offering legal services in the way that you want them.
- Direct Solicitor Contact
- No Hidden Charges
- Home and Hospital Visits
Contacting us at Fylde Law is easy – simply fill in the form below or give us a call to speak with one of our experienced solicitors today.
Call a Fylde Law Solicitor today on 01253 293 106 for a free, no obligation informal chat.
Cedar Chambers, Cedar Square,
tel. 01253 293 106
LYTHAM ST ANNES OFFICE:
325 Clifton Drive South, St Annes,
tel. 01253 730 070
10 Crescent East,
tel. 01253 852 613